Wednesday 6 July 2022

Harry Roscow Trophy - July 2022

Quick train trip to Scone for a family visit and bowls. Picked up at 5pm for delicious Thai green curry courtesy of brother Robert. On the green for a practice match just after 7.00pm. Just me and brother Andrew competing.

The green at Scone Park Bowling Club not to the usual high standard. Lots of moss. At least it's reasonably flat. No sign of my spare bowls set. So I'm scrabbling around in the spares. Find a set of Thomas Taylor size 4s, similar to my bowls at home.

On rink 3 and first to 21. I'm holding my own in the early stages. Getting the line by end 8. A couple of 3s put me ahead 11-6. Maintain a gap, but Andrew chipping away. By end 19 there's only 2 between us. A 3 on end 22 and I just need one more. Finish 21-16 on end 24.

Saturday afternoon for the crunch match. Three sets, each first to 15, for the Harry Roscow Trophy. First set on rink 6. Tricky outside hand, so I focus on the inside. I'm off to a flying start, up 4-1 by end 4. Drop a 4 to give Andrew the lead 4-5. Only lose three of the next 12 ends to win the first set 15-9.

A move to rink 5. First two ends to Andrew. By end 4 he's 5-1 up. Then I get the line. Win seven of the next eight ends. Final score 15-6.

The Harry Roscow Trophy is sitting beside me as I write this... self isolating from a positive COVID test on my return. Caught it on the train up. So no bowls this week 😕.

Presentation photo and scorecards are below. For the background to the Harry Roscow Trophy and the winners to date, click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment