Saturday 1 January 2022

Review of 2021

It's that time of the year. Time to record those memories from 2021, clear the mind, and focus on 2022.

For the first time I didn't record every bowls delivery throughout the year.  Got a bug for writing about local social history, so less time to write about bowls. Also became Secretary of the local men's bowls league. So more time taken updating division tables and adjudicating on issues. 

Of course, nothing would stand in the way of playing bowls! So here's a rundown of my 2021 season.

Delivery method
Anyone reading about past years will know I've had a somewhat changeable bowling method. It's caused a problem for all the 8 years I've been bowling. One poor game and the solution was to change something. Backswing. Release. Aiming point. To crouch or not to crouch.

At last I've settled. More of necessity to chuck the bowl up the other end on a long jack and heavy green. So I crouch, take a short backswing and then a short step forward as I deliver. For very short jacks, there's no step forward. Having set an aiming point at the end of the rink, I focus on a mark in the green about 20 yards away. Works well for me.

Finals Day
Made the two bowls final. Second consecutive year. Had some fantastic games to get there. Knocked out one of the county's best draw bowlers in the quarter final. Down 15-19, managed to pull back to 17-19. With shot bowl and keen to finish, he delivered his last almost inch perfect to make it two and a potential win. But he pushed the jack, leaving me with shot bowl. My last made it two and 19-19. The next two ends were mine and a 21-19 win. In the semifinal I knocked out the current club and county champion 21-16.

Come Finals Day, and the two bowls final is one of the first on at 10.00am. My opponent, twice national two bowls champion, has the four bowls final to play in as well later. Not overawed since I knocked my opponent out of this competition in 2019.

And how did it go? Terrible. One of those days when I could play til midnight and still be trying to find a line. Not helped by the green rapidly drying on a beautiful sunny morning. Lost 5-21.

Best shot
Got to the four bowls semifinal. Should have made the final. My opponent, who went on to win the final, had almost given up at 19-13. Somehow he came back and won 19-21.

In the quarter final I played one of the clubs best draw bowlers. Very close match. At 19-19, with two of his bowls tight up against the jack, my opponent bowled his last spot on again. He walked slowly up the green and stood over the head, thinking he'd won. Realising I wasn't behind him, he looked up to see me waiting to deliver my last bowl.

The shot required a narrower line than normal so I could deliver with above average weight. The aim was to scatter his three bowls with just enough force to allow my last bowl to continue on for a foot. Worked perfectly. My opponent was so frustrated he kicked the jack away before I had a chance to check for two. After my objection, the marker did his best and placed the jack back where he thought it lay. I accepted one, 20-19 to me. Another single on the next end meant 21-19 to me.

Regular fixtures
Took the trophy against my daughter's boyfriend. He started bowls last year and is coming on strong. Don't think it'll be long before we're neck and neck.

Unable to play for the Harry Roscow Trophy. Andrew managed down for a weekend filled with pitch & put, snooker and bowls. Really close game in the crunch match, Andrew ahead most of the ends. I sneaked it, the last five ends to me and a 21-19 win.

Two wins to me in the biannual match with my ex-workmate from Biggleswade, 21-7 to me at St Ives, and 21-9 at Biggleswade. To be fair, he'd had way less chance to play bowls this year. Overall now 7-5 to me in matches.

Leagues
Played for the B Team in the men's league. Ended runner up in division 4, one point behind the leaders. Also played for the top Over 60s club team in division 1. We were relegated.

For both teams I played skip throughout the season. Really settled into the role. Made a difference in many of the matches, which is what it's all about.

2022?
Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the coming season. Partly because I'm convinced I've got things sorted to win one or more competitions. Partly, having turned 70 years, I realise the clock is ticking.

No comments:

Post a Comment