Thursday 16 July 2020

Turning point

Should be a straightforward win in this evening's SIngles League match, my opponent only having won one match so far. But our games are always close. What are also close are his first bowls over the starting ends. By the sixth end I'm 3 - 6  down and struggling to keep up.

No different on end seven. He's got his first two tight up to the jack. I'm trying a yard on and just missing. As I bowl my last my three are at the back. Manage to carry the jack through to rest amongst my bowls. Four to me and 7 - 6 the score.

Keep the lead thereafter, though not without a few more ends where I have to move the jack. What changed? Realised I was yet again lifting up as I delivered the bowl. Once I kept my head down, almost regretting letting the bowl go, line and length improved markedly.

Really enjoyable match, every end a thinking head. Finished 18 - 13 to me. Without the four on end seven would have been 14 - 15 to him. How a game of bowls can turn on a single end. Here's the scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment