Saturday 14 September 2019

Acceptance


Finals Day. Real buzz, even as I arrived at the Club at 9.00am. Plenty of activity from early morning. The green cut, food prepared. And I'm on the green at 9.30am for the first batch of finals. Playing in the Men's Two Bowls Final, first to twenty-one.

How did it go? The green was quick, which doesn't suit my game. I needed a good belt of rain overnight to slow things down and make my long jacks more effective. My opponent, current County Champion, played minimum length jacks. So minimum I had the tape out three times to check he'd bowled to length. Every time he had, once by a millimetre. Even when I got the jack, full length didn't trouble him. Lost 21-13.

It was enough for me to be part of Finals Day. Beginning to realise the hope of winning a County title may be just a pipe dream. Much more realistic to aim for one or more appearances on Club Finals Day. Be satisfied at being a good Club player. Nevertheless, next season I'll be trying to conquer what gives me so much trouble. Fast greens.

Spent the rest of the day watching some great final matches. Just a couple of social roll ups and the Closing Day and AGM next Saturday before it all ends. Since there are no more singles matches to go, here are the updated charts for singles matches played. Basically, no progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment