Friday 10 May 2019

Short story


First County competition fixture this evening, men's two bowls singles. Playing at Papworth Bowls Club. Just my luck to draw last year's winner in the opening round.

Not long before I'm under pressure. My opponent is playing long ends but isn't get that close to the jack. He doesn't need to when my first bowl is consistently short, putting huge pressure on my last bowl.

Down 7-12, manage to string three winning ends with short jacks to go 11-12. Don't win another end. Even worse, don't even get a second bowl in. Lose 11-22.

Don't think I bowled more than five of the forty-two deliveries beyond the jack all evening. Sometimes my first bowl was embarrassingly short. Was even back to lifting my head at the end of a delivery. Thought I was past that. To deliver your first bowl short in a two bowl competition is a fatal mistake.

After lots of rain the green was heavy. Was also full of 'character'. But those are just shallow excuses. Simply played badly and, most importantly, didn't learn and adjust as the game went on. Must do better. Here's the scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment