Monday 27 August 2018

Harry Roscow Trophy - August 2018


Still hoping to put in an appearance at the Club's Finals Day. May need therapy if I don't make it to a final for the first time ever. But this weekend's second win of the year in the Harry Roscow Trophy competition will be more than a consolation prize. Here's mum presenting me with the Trophy. Do I see gritted teeth from my brothers Andrew and Robert on either side?

Page down for the full story and scorecards.

The Prequel
Friday evening three-way match, played over twelve ends. A warm up to ensure all are up to speed and no excuses for the main match. The overall result is a definite boost for Robert, undefeated in two games. Andrew wins one, loses one. I bring up the rear with two defeats. Not good. Here are the details.

Game 1 : Andrew v Robert
Nothing in it until after the eight end, when Robert won three of the final four to win 10-7.

Game 2 : Me v Robert
After three ends I'm 8-0 up. Lose the line for a few ends but still lead 12-9 with one end to play. And I'm sitting with two as Robert prepares to bowl his last. Jokingly suggest he needs a yard-on shot similar to the last bowl I played against him in our June battle, when I trailed the jack through to score three and draw. Left regretting my suggestion when his yard-on trails the jack through to score four to him and a 12-13 loss for me!

Game 3 : Me v Andrew
Still reeling from losing the last game as Andrew cruises to a 7-10 lead. Downhill thereafter as the final four ends go to him. Poor result for me, losing 7-19.

Here are the scorecards.

The Competition
Saturday evening, another three-way match. No messing about this time since it's for the Harry Roscow Trophy. First to twenty-one. Overall result two wins to me. Andrew wins one, loses one. Robert loses two. Here are the details.

Game 1 : Robert v Andrew
Andrew initially gets the upper hand, winning ten of the first fifteen ends to go 19-8 ahead. Then Robert starts his come back. Four winning ends has Andrew reeling and the score back to a more respectable 19-16. But Robert is playing on a knife edge, Andrew only needing one good end. It comes with a winning two, final score 21-16 to Andrew.

Game 2 : Andrew v me
All Andrew needs to do to take the Trophy is to win this match. There's nothing in it right up to the thirteenth end. Th next two ends to me and a 13-9 lead. Andrew pulls it back to 13-12, but a three on the next end gives me a 16-12 lead. Another few ends and it's 18-14 to me. All the ends up to now have been maximum length. On the twenty-third end Andrew plays  the first minimum length jack. All four of his bowls are right on the jack. I'm all over the place trying to draw in. Four to Andrew and 18-18. Why didn't I play a drive and smash the head apart? Rather surprised when Andrew returns to a maximum length jack on the next end. I gain two, another single on the next end for a 21-18 win to me.

Too late in the evening for another match, the Trophy winner all hangs on Monday midday and the final match Robert v me. If I win I retain the Trophy. Even if I lose to Robert, victory is mine if I lose by two or less (ie 19-21). Robert will take the title if he beats me by more than five. Any other result and Andrew takes the Trophy.

Game 3 : Robert v me
The green is heavy after continuous rain the previous day. Takes quite an effort to launch each bowl. I'm getting a better line, resulting in a 15-2 lead by the ninth end. Robert starts a comeback winning the next three ends, but I manage to keep him to single-bowl wins, 15-5. The next couple of ends are mine, 19-5. Put in a short jack and am sitting with two close bowls as Robert delivers his last. Surely the match is mine. Should have known better! Again Robert trails the jack through as in game 2 of the prequel, scoring four. An exchange of jack in the final ends and game finished 20-9 to me.

Here are the scorecards.

No comments:

Post a Comment