Monday 4 June 2018

Harry Roscow Trophy - June 2018


Here's mum presenting me (yes me!) with the Harry Roscow Bowls Trophy. Came out winner in the closest set of matches we've had over the six years and eleven occasions played. Long may it continue! Another hugely entertaining bowls session with my two brothers (Andrew left, Robert right) in competition for our grandfather's prize. Read on to get all the details.

The Prequel
Robert and me had a Friday evening warm-up. Not played at Scone Park Bowling Club for nine months, not used my old size 5 heavy bowls for the same period. Robert hasn't bowled more than two or three times this season. 

We need a bit of practise to have a chance against Andrew, current champion. Seems to be sleeping, eating and, well, playing bowls not stop. He's playing a Club four bowls competition fixture. They've started ahead of us and it looks like he's struggling.

No surprise it was a slow start for me. By the ninth end I was 3-15 down. Only bowled two or three times? True or not, Robert played well. Started to pull back, but slow progress. Robert kept me to ones and twos. At 17-19, had a chance to overtake. Robert helpfully pointed out he only needed a couple of close bowls to win, and he did just that. 17-21 to Robert.

Andrew had already finished his match and lost handsomely. So the big question is, who will win the Trophy? Looks like it might be wide open. Here's our scorecard...


The Competition
Andrew has been playing in the Club Drawn Pairs competition in the afternoon. With a 5.30pm start and dinner at Robert's planned for 8.00pm, we're restricted for time. Agree to play a three-way match, each game of twelve ends. We'll also switch rinks after each to ensue no advantages. Toss coins and it's me and Robert playing first.

Game 1 : John v Robert
Robert keeps his form from Friday evening. Within three ends he's leading 1-4. And on the next he plays a wonderful shot as I'm sitting with a good three, anticipating drawing level. His last bowl, delivered with perfect length and weight, performs the impossible, curving round my protecting bowls to take the jack. No longer 4-4, it's 1-5 to him!

Undaunted, I manage to win the next three ends to draw level at 5-5. But Robert responds with three winning ends. Looking desperate, 5-9 to him with two ends to go.

Manage to pull one back on the penultimate end. Need three to draw. As I walk up to the head to consider my last shot, Robert is sitting with one. 'There's only one shot to play' says Andrew. And he's right. I've got two at the back. The jack is open to attack. A yard-on shot might get me the three needed. Manage to play it to perfection, trailing the jack in front of my bowl to rest beside the other two. Three to me and a 9-9 draw! Here's the scorecard...


Game 2 : Andrew v Robert
Robert is off to another strong start, again leading 1-5 after four ends. But unlike Friday evening and the previous match, where he managed to keep his opponent's winning ends down to ones and twos by always getting at least one close bowl, Andrew is beginning to get the odd three.

Andrew makes a comeback to go 10-6 ahead after nine ends. Robert fights back and wins the next two. As the last end is played, it's 10-10. At least this one won't be a draw. It goes to Andrew, 12-10. That means he just needs a draw to win the Trophy. Here's the scorecard...


Game 3 : John v Andrew
At last I get a fast start. After four ends I'm 6-0 ahead. By the tenth that's extended to 13-5. Andrew recognises he needs maximum scores of four on the last two ends to draw. Bit disconcerting when he gets exactly that on the penultimate end. But as we play the last I know I just need one close bowl. Manage that to win 14-9. Here's the scorecard...

No comments:

Post a Comment