Wednesday 13 September 2017

Where's my comfort blanket?

A trip to Biggleswade this afternoon for my biannual game against Kevin. Last week he competed in both the 2 and 4 bowls finals at St Andrew's Bowls Club. Lost both, but perfect preparation for my Finals Day appearance on Sunday.

Raining heavily as I leave St Ives and there are ominous clouds during the 25 mile trip. It's certainly been raining in Biggleswade, though the sun is shining as we play trial ends. The green looks better than in past years. No bare earth patches. But the green keeping is no better, the ground overwatered, grass layer paper-thin.

Going is unbelievably heavy on odd numbered ends when we play up a slight incline. In trouble right from the start. Can't get my bowls anywhere near. Even when I manage to get the jack and play a short end, I'm still short. My line is good, but all too often bowls are blocking the path. Need to overcome what my subconscious is telling me and try bowling into the ditch, something I never quite do.

We have a better tussle on even ends. Good heads and satisfying interchanges of shot bowl. Kevin still has the edge. The end result a rather embarrassing 21-9 win to him.

Always seeking to take something positive away from every match, this one is all about short bowls. Not only are they of no value, they also block the line. Burned on my memory for Sunday.

Now 3-2 to Kevin and going with home advantage. Shown below is the record to date.


DateLocationResultMore info
Sep 2014    Biggleswade    Kevin 21 - 14 John    Click here
Sep 2015St IvesJohn 21- 16 KevinClick here
Sep 2016BiggleswadeKevin 21- 19 JohnClick here
Apr 2017St IvesJohn 22 - 15 KevinClick here
Sep 2017BiggleswadeKevin 21 - 9 John

No comments:

Post a Comment