Tuesday 11 August 2020

Back on track

Last League Singles match, my opponent one of our best lady players. It's another baking day, 34°C. (93°F) in the shade, so out on the green must be 44°C. (110°F).

Even for the first three ends, on the fourth I get four to go 7 - 1 up. Next two to the opposition. Win the next by one, now 8 - 6 to me.

Roll a jack just short of medium length. All of my four bowls are very near the jack. My opponent is also close, win by one. But a lightbulb has suddenly gone on in my brain. The same length jack sees me win nine of the last ten ends, and a 33 - 7 win. On every end in the second half my first bowl was right on the jack and three or four bowls were up close every time. Can't remember playing as accurately as that before.

Suddenly occurred to me the last few years' strategy of finding a length that makes my opponent uncomfortable has been crazy. That's generally meant bowling a maximum length jack. Worked well in the past, but not been working so successfully this year.

The evidence from this match is to roll the jack to the natural length of my bowls delivery. In other words, whatever length my natural unstrained swing delivers the bowls to, that's where I should place the jack. Where the jack ends up depends on the heaviness of the green, but my swing should remain unaltered.

If this match is anything to go by, definitely back on track. Not a moment too soon. Travelling up to Scotland this weekend for the bowls battle against my brothers. Two bowls competition on Friday evening, four bowls on Sunday, for the Harry Roscow Trophy. Cant' wait! Here's this afternoon's scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment