Wednesday 3 October 2018

Improvement?


Second session of indoor bowls this evening, our opponents Hemingford Bowls Club. Can I play any worse than last week? It seems not. My second delivery is right up to the jack and not a single bowl in the ditch all evening. Even feel compelled to take the above snap when I somehow manage to get BOTH bowls against the jack in a later end.

It's all a bit illusory. The skip periodically shouts instructions to me such as 'come on your left hand, down between these opposition bowls and rest against the shot bowl'. I nod to indicate an understanding and with a serious face apply myself to the task and deliver the bowl. Is it going to end half way up the carpet, or skittle the skip like a ninepin? Still haven't got a clue how to control length.

At least not a slaughter this week. We lose 7-16. At the start we were in the lead!

Sadly, the true slaughter is yet to come. On an adjacent rink Warboys White Hart were playing, the top local club. Their opponents gave up part way through the evening, so far were they behind. Might be something to do with one of Warboys' players being Nick Brett, ex-World Champion and current World number 6. He was playing lead. Mesmerising accuracy. 

We play them in a couple of weeks. I'm away on holiday next Wednesday. So there's a chance, desperately trying to remember what little I've learned in two sessions, I'll be pitched against a former World Champion. Wonder if a winning score of 100 has ever been achieved. Here's this evening's scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment