Wednesday 12 September 2018

Ding dong battle


Last chance to make Finals Day this evening. Semi-final of the Men's Four Bowls Championship, against one of the Club's top bowlers. Barely a whisker between us for the first half of the match, both playing well.

Then a decision on end eleven has serious consequences. He has two close bowls in front of the jack. I'm short with my first two. Drop the maxim to always draw on my best hand to get one close and ensure a low score against. Attempt to split his bowls with a slightly weighted shot. First attempt squeezes through and skims the jack. Second misses the target. Four to him and 8-13 down.

Pull back by winning six of the next nine ends, now 17-17. On the twenty-first end I'm sitting with two close bowls in front of the jack. His last bowl squeezes through for one. In the gloom, with the dew rising, my opponent is applying constant pressure by getting his first bowl close to the jack. The next two go to him and I lose 17-21.

Huge disappointment at not making a final this year. No appearance on Finals Day this coming Sunday. First time in my six years of bowling. At least I go out with a good performance. Here's the scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment