Tuesday 18 August 2015

Must pay attention!

Playing for the men's A team this evening against Brampton Bowls Club. Or so I thought. Turn up at Brampton half an hour early to find no one in sight. A quick check of the diary and I realise I'm at the wrong place. We're playing Buckden Bowls Club. What an idiot. Fortunately the correct venue is just ten minutes way. Would have been a disaster if I should have been at the other end of the county. Must pay attention!

Playing lead, my opposite number is knee high to a grasshopper. Turns out he's been playing bowls for three seasons, just like me. And he's already under eighteen county champion. Looks like he's got a good few years at under eighteen. Probably fifty years to go until he reaches my age. His bowls are a bit all over the place. I get some within three feet of the jack. But as usual with two bowls team matches, far too many are wayward.

We just lose on our end, and lose the match 1-2. Retire to the clubhouse after for a very nice tea of boiled new potatoes, vegetables, cornish pasty and gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment