Saturday 18 July 2015

Proper village green

Club friendly against Great Gransden this afternoon. Beautiful little English village in the middle of nowhere. The bowling green has plenty of character and is the object of much amateur care. With no ditches down two of the sides, looks like they only ever bowl in one direction. Luckily I'm not on rink 6. Doubt if I could play my bowls on the green edge side without them rolling into the tennis court next door.

We lose the match but win on our rink 16-12. Don't like playing skip, but at least there are three bowls to play and I get a decent line and length throughout.

Retire afterwards to the small clubhouse for sandwiches, cake, tea, speeches and a raffle. I win a strange looking pottery squirrel with a hole in its behind. Takes us ten minutes to figure out it's for sticking in a plant pot to water it.

No comments:

Post a Comment