Sunday 19 April 2015

First solo practice

After yesterday's Opening Day, keen to get on the bowls green to start measuring progress via a couple of solo sessions. Continuing to use the format established last June.

First attempt a disaster. Almost 25% of my bowls short by more than 3 feet. Only 33% within 3 feet of the jack.

Change of rinks for the second attempt. Much better. Less than 10% of bowls short, 43% within 3 feet. My key goal for 2015 is to get 50% within 3 feet. So this attempt is heading in the right direction.

Still learning though. Put my right hand behind my left elbow (I'm left handed) as I judge the line to encourage a straight arm delivery. And I focus on getting the bowl positioned straight in my hand and ensure it's pointing along the chosen line before delivery.

Onwards & upwards (hopefully!). Here are the scorecards...




2 comments:

  1. When you say you put your right hand behind your left elbow do you mean on the pointed bone part of the elbow or in the crook of the arm that faces forward down the green at the start of delivery? While in Australia, I was taught the latter. That is done to assure that the starting position of the bowl is constant. How would either of these actions keep your arm straight at delivery or is just to remind you to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put my right hand behind my left elbow. The weight of the bowl in my left hand therefore has the effect of naturally straightening my arm. Also helps with keeping delivery constant.

      Delete