Thursday 6 August 2020

Frustration!

Important Singles League match this evening against one of our best younger  (ie under 50) players. We've not played each other before. I'm one above him in Division 1, so need to win. Looking forward to it.

Pretty even until the seventh end, when I drop three. Looks like I'll pull them back on the next end, I'm sitting with three, one of which is right up to the jack in front. Then he plays an unbelievable last bowl. Arches round the back, stops, and falls back to lie against the jack. It's a no-scoring end since we've both got a bowl touching the jack.

The next three ends are his and I'm 5 - 13 down. Doesn't feel like it. Having some really tight ends. The difference is every one of his first bowls is right on the jack, putting me under constant pressure.

End twelve looks like I'm going to pull three back. There's room for my last bowl to make it four. But I'm slightly too narrow. The head is so tight, my slight nudge on his nearest bowl changes it from a possible four to me, to one to him. That's a difference of five I've got to make up!

He wins four of the final six ends to finish 7 - 19 to him. Seriously? We've had such an enjoyably tight game, feels more like the final end should have been the decider. But the end count tells the tale. I only won four of the eighteen ends. Not good enough to be close. Here's the scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment