Monday 19 September 2016

Harry Roscow Bowls Trophy - September 2016

And the winner of the Harry Roscow Trophy is... Andrew! What, AGAIN! Here's mum presenting the award. Not quite as clear cut as previous competitions. And a re-entry by Robert added to the mix.

The Friday evening practice match against Andrew followed the usual path. Not only had to contend with getting up to speed on a strange green. Also had to get used to my old bowls, left up here in May so not played with for four months. Line and length a bit of a challenge. Match ended 21-14 to Andrew. Giving away two fours didn’t help the end result for me.

Sunday late morning and the big match for the Harry Roscow Trophy. Three way first to 21 between me and my brothers Robert and Andrew. I pray the first match is either Robert playing Andrew, or me playing Robert, to give me another match under my belt before I play favourite Andrew. Happy when it’s the latter… excellent!

Might have been excellent if Robert wasn’t playing a top game. He was ahead throughout. I struggled with both line and length. Ended 21-12 to Robert. That wasn't in the script!

As loser, I played Andrew next. Realised my full backswing just wasn't working. Really struggled to get the line against Robert, usually bowling too wide. Changed to a push delivery and things improved immediately. Bang on the line and a much better length. This time I lead throughout. At 20-18 to me Andrew was lying shot bowl. If I could knock him out I’d score three. But a drive with my last bowl was too narrow and missed the target… only to ricochet off one of Andrew’s wider bowls and push right against the jack. Ends 21-18 to me. Oops!

So was all on the final game. If Robert won he'd be champion. If Andrew won it would be a three way tie and the winner whoever had the highest total bowls.

Andrew took an early lead. Robert pulled back to 9-11, before Andrew again widened the gap. Ended 21-11 to Andrew.

So with a three way tie, one each, it went to a count back on total bowls scored. Result Andrew 39, me 33, Robert 32. Andrew is the September 2016 winner of the Harry Roscow Trophy.

The current total wins is shown below, as well as photos from this weekend. To read full details of past competitions and the background to the Harry Roscow Trophy, click here.

Harry Roscow Trophy - Winners to date
Andrew - 6
Robert - 1
John - 1

First match result, Robert 21 - 12 John

Second match result, John 21 - 18 Andrew

Final match result, Andrew 21 - 11 Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment