Monday 11 April 2016

Slow start


With less than a week to go before our club's Opening Day and few posts in advance of the day, you could be forgiven for thinking I've almost forgotten about the 2016 outdoor season. Anything but. Been thinking of it for weeks. Well, more like months. In fact, ever since I wandered away from our Closing Day & AGM  almost seven months ago.

Although 2015 was full of targets, you'll notice there's a distinct lack of such for 2016. Just not had the time. Lately I've been giving my Cambridgeshire Walks website a makeover and publishing it more widely. Most of the winter I've been building a new website about the social history of our beautiful town of St Ives, St Ives 100 Years Ago.

So what about the 2016 outdoor season? Lots of things to look forward to....
  • Entered three County singles competitions for the first time.
  • Hoping to get the Men's 4s Club Team promoted to Division 3.
  • Got to two club competition finals last year. Unfortunately lost both. Can I win at least one this year, maybe more?
  • Last, but certainly not least, the Harry Roscow Trophy. Beat my brother for the first time last September. In just over two weeks I'll be heading north to Scone as reigning family champion.  Another win is my most important current target.

Added to that lot, I've applied for a £25,000 grant on behalf of the club to replace the green ditching and install a ramp to make it easier for less able and wheelchair players to access the green. We'll know the result by July.

Oh, and I'm awaiting arrival of a new set of bowls. I bought my current 5H Henselite Championship set secondhand about ten years ago. They're dated 1995, so in the unlikely event I get through to the final stages of a County competition they might be disqualified. Hopefully the new Thomas Taylor Legacy SL 4H bowls will arrive before Opening Day on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment