Saturday 28 September 2013

Terminal velocity

Popped down for the final solo practise of the year late this afternoon. Had the green all to myself. Tomorrow it's the Bowl for Beef drive followed by the club's AGM and closing of the green.

Would have been nice if I'd finished the outdoor season with a bang, but the solo performance was pretty mediocre. Only just managed to bowl more woods near the jack than I bowled short. Noticed for six of the last seven solo sessions the number of short bowls seems to be stuck in the 18 to 20 range. That's one bowl every end. It's length I really need to improve next year... make that wasted bowl count.

Rather poignant as I packed my bowls away. Wandered around the green reading the bench memorial plaques to members long since departed who enjoyed their days at this club. I've only been a member for four months but already I feel a strong affinity to a special place that's so calming, sociable and fun. This is where my memorial bench will sit.

Here's the last set of performance charts for the 2013 outdoor season...


2014 target is to increase number of ends with two bowls close

Got to increase that green bar next year

What's certain is I'm most consistent with medium ends

2 comments:

  1. You do not record how many non-touchers you have in the ditch for your long ends. Are you subtracting one for such bowls. Could this be dragging down your score for long ends? Are you getting quite a few bowls several yards behind the jack just to avoid losing a point for short bowls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clarke... I did start to record these in the same way as short bowls, that is -1. But I'm now using a simpler and more demanding solo scoring system. Here's the link to the post explaining that...

      http://bowlingforgold.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/solo-practise-recalibration.html

      Regards, John

      Delete