Friday 20 September 2013

An education

Friday evening, weather cool with slight wind. No precipitation. Orange socks and club jacket donned for the first outing at Scone Bowls Club with my brothers. Got to put in a good performance!

Extra important to do so since they'd pulled in John Anton to make up a foursome. John Anton... Scone Bowls Club singles champion, Perthshire County singles champion for the last two years and the man who the following day was to knock the Scottish singles champion out of the Grandmasters at Broughty Ferry. And I was to play up against John!

After a promising start Andrew and me sank like a stone, losing the match 10-24. No doubt I wasn't the best of partners as I battled to get used to the superb green. And of course John Anton was a dream partner for Robert... no fireworks, just consistent bowling near the jack. Even if I bettered him on the odd end, it was only ever going to be by one, or at most two, bowls. But the odds were always on him picking up at least two. He gave me two bits of advice during play. Knew both of them already, but coming from John they meant so much more. They were...

1. Keep your follow through straight
2. Aim for a mark part way up the green

What I did notice was just how well Robert was bowling. Hadn't played for weeks, but his line was high class. So no surprise when, as the light fell and we played a last end nearest the jack for 50p each, he took the £2 pot. Think I'm up against it for Sunday's three way singles battle with my brothers!

Here's a snap of the superb green at Scone Bowls Club...


No comments:

Post a Comment