Wednesday 24 October 2018

Hush my mouth!


Here's the current league table before this evening's match against Huntingdon Gold. No surprise we're bottom, saved complete ignomy by a single point from our draw a couple of weeks ago. The surprise is our sister team St Ives Green are not much better. They're a much more experienced team.

Tonight we start off well, 5-1 up after four ends. I've just clocked the league tables and worked out if we win tonight we're likely to go into next week's match against St Ives Green with four points against their three. Playing Warboys White Hart this evening, there's no chance of them gaining any more points. Excitedly tell the rest of our team to spur them on.

Wish I'd kept quiet. Within another four ends we're trailing 6-12. We're not playing badly, but the bowls are not being kind. Any lucky wicks seem to go against us. Another three ends and we've rallied, now 12-12. Maybe those three points will be ours. But no, the last four ends go to our opponents. Final score 12-20.

At least I seem to be getting the hang of length at last. My first bowl rolls right up to the jack as a toucher. To congratulations from both sides I admit it was a fluke, having badly scuffed the delivery against the carpet. But my second bowl is close too. Throughout I either get close to the jack, or desperately short. Here's this evening's scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment