Sunday 13 September 2015

Men's Handicap Final


Second final of the day. And I'm under no illusions about this match. Up against a serious opponent. In fact, the club's best bowler. He's thrashed me in the men's four wood competition when I played like a lemon. Got a handicap of 2, his 10. So he's aiming for 29, me 21.

Get some encouragement when I win the first end with a single. Win another single on the fifth end. My next comes with a single on the eleventh end. The next two ends constitute my attempt at a fightback. Then it's back to business as usual.

My opponent is an absolute master at strategy. On one end I'm sitting with two and look safe. Loads of bowls protecting my position. But he's spotted an opportunity and aims his last through the narrowest of gaps to carry the jack through to his back bowls. Three to him.

On the twentieth end I score four! Ask my opponent to sign a certificate to witness my achievement. It's the most significant award I'm going to get all day.

Another four ends and it's all over, 29-13 to him. At least I got to double figures. And a good education on how to play bowls. Here's the scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment