Saturday 19 September 2015

Harry Roscow Trophy September 2015

Beginning to think I'd set myself an insurmountable challenge, to beat my brother Andrew on his home turf at Scone Bowls Club. Time for yet another chance to be hero or zero in our twice a year best of three singles match.

So I lined up against Andrew Wednesday afternoon with hope springing eternal. Bit worried I was two down on the first end. Is this going to be the usual rout? By the sixth end I'm 8-3 down. But I start to get a rhythm, close the gap and by the seventeenth end it's 13-12 to me. A four on the next end and I'm away, winning the game 21-13.

Finding the line as well as I ever have. All the mechanics in the delivery working well. Playing some of my best bowls ever. Even when in a fix, seem able to get a last bowl just where it's needed to save the end. So I'm eager to go on and play the second. 

This game follows a similar pattern to the first. By the nineteenth end I'm 18-12 up. But I'm wary Andrew will catch up. And he does in the next three ends, it's now 18-18. Anyone can win with just one good end. I win the next two with singles, 20-18 to me. Not good enough. Andrew gets three on the final end.  Score is 21-20 to him and one all in games!

Thursday afternoon and the deciding game. Again I pull away to lead 14-5 after nine ends. A rally by Andrew brings it to 14-10. I stretch the lead to 17-10. But by the twentieth end Andrew has pulled back. It's 18-18 and again we're both just one good end from victory. Then 19-19. Then 20-19 to me. So close! On the last end I just manage to get two bowls within Andrew's closest to win 22-19.

So I've come home with the trophy! Must have been the amazing support from St Ives Bowls Club players on Tuesday. Wish I'd played like that on club Finals Day. But I've learned a little bit more about how to find the line quickly, how to judge distance better, and which shot to play when under pressure. If only it was the start of a new outdoor season.

To view the story of the Harry Roscow trophy and all previous results, click here.

Only one match left to play, our club's Closing Day on Sunday ~:o( . Must write down all the things I've learned this season so I can employ them right from the start in April 2016.

Here are the scorecards and various photos from the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment