Tuesday 30 June 2015

Mixed singles club competition - Round 1

Interesting format to this evening's club competition. Best of three sets, each of seven ends. Highest score wins the set. Found from hard experience it doesn't matter how easily you win a set. If your opponent scrapes the second it's all square and decided on the final set.

Up against the same lady member I won against last week in the Over 60s preliminary round. Appears to give me a psychological advantage as I go three up on the first end. In fact I win every end of the first set, 14-0 to me.

The format works its magic in the second set. My opponent's line improves  The best I can do is keep level. With one end to play I'm one down and at risk of going into a third set all level. I've got shot bowl as I prepare to deliver my last. If it stays at this we'll draw the set. My opponent will then have to win the last set to draw the match and force a final end play off. But if I can get this last bowl into the count...

And I do! 5-4 to me in the second set, 2-0 in sets. Here's the scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment