Sunday 7 September 2014

Getting ready for the final

With Finals Day only a week away, I'm eager to squeeze as much practise in as possible. So with an hour to spare, off to the bowls club for a solo practise session.

On the first nine ends rolled my best bowls ever. All but one end had two or more bowls within three feet of the jack. Even better, on six of them I had a least one bowl within inches of the jack.

Then tailed off. For the next seven ends I was lucky to get one bowl within three feet. On one end got none. Realised I wasn't watching the bowl travel its whole journey. Was rolling the bowl, picking up a bowl for the next shot, and only seeing the previous bowl's final third of its trip towards the jack. Corrected that and was back on track on the last two ends. Each had two and three bowls within three feet of the jack, both had a bowl inches from the target.

I suppose in a match I wouldn't do that. But still a valuable reminder to carefully watch a bowl as it travels towards the jack. Without that, how can I judge where it ends up in relation to how close I was to my aiming point, so I can adjust for the next shot?

The chart below shows how my bowls has improved since my epiphany on 14th August. Before then I was getting less than half the ends with two or more bowls close to the jack (i.e. within three feet). Since then at least two thirds have bowls close, many with one or more bowls inches away. Today's scorecard is shown below too.



No comments:

Post a Comment