Friday 18 April 2014

Sick with anticipation

Opening day tomorrow. Hope I sleep well tonight. Not felt as excited about the start of a sport's season for years. Maybe ever. The first football match was always a buzz. But even that wasn't quite the same, since there'd have been loads of training sessions beforehand. And you could always kick a ball any time you wanted in the local park.

This time it's straight into it. Tomorrow is a drive, so it's immediately competitive. On Tuesday a roll up, with a more relaxed competitive edge. Thursday is an evening drive for the mens' first and second league teams selection. And in a week my brothers arrive from the north, aiming to thrash me several times over that weekend. There are also fixture dates on the club noticeboard for men's and over sixties triples league games. The whole bowls scene seems to have started with a BANG!

To be honest, feel a bit sick with anticipation. Not sure if it's the effects of the bug that laid me low last Monday, or the genuine excitement about the new bowls season.

Was down the bowls club this evening to avoid Coronation Street and do my first mowing session. Mentioned in the last post three of the ground maintenance team had been in hospital last week. So at the committee meeting on Tuesday evening I offered my services if I could do the work on, say, Friday evenings. Now I do the non-skilled grass cutting, i.e. the surrounds.

See the snap below as I finished after sunset. Must say I'm pleased with it. Looks rather smart and should give all the eager bowlers a good feeling about the condition of the club grounds when they arrive tomorrow.

Must rush... got bowls to polish and put to bed ready for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment